Another enriching month in Year 6 with some great experiences for all.
In maths we got to make fruit punches! We used our new learned ratio skills and put them to the test by making some delicious treats for our group.
In PE, we have started our yoga topic - namaste!
We had safer internet day.
In English, we did some drama whilst learning our model text.
In D&T, we had a taste testing lesson where we looked at the main groups of flavours and what tastes are complimentary to one another. Our lemon and onion faces were the best.
We celebrated Chinese new year by participating in Chinese dragon chancing and we make Chinese inspired art work.
Finally, in science, we had a visit from Mr Berry and we have begun our light topic.
January so far has been fabulous - but freezing!
We have started a new topic in geography where we are looking at how our local land has been used. The children were surprised to learn that Bluewater and Leybourne Lakes are old quarries.
We took a walk to Leybourne Lakes to see how the land has been utilised.
We have also had science week! Chatham dockyard came in to run an electricity workshop and we were very lucky to have a visit from the Planetarium.
In English, we have got to know our model text and in maths we have smashed ratio!
Check out our pictures below,
Some experiences of this term include:
- PE, where we have completed some dances using our bodies as instruments. The children have used a range of clapping, stomping and clicking to help them.
- Maths - we have grouped together in teams to complete a range of reasoning problems. We have also begun our fractions topic which we have smashed.
- We had monster mash up day.
- English - we have acted out our model text and created our own creatures using plasticine, ready to write an information text. We have also explored the text and learnt actions to help us remember it.
- Science - we had t find worms that had escaped in our school hall but the brown ones were trickier to find! Ask the children how that relates to evolution and adaptation.
6th October 2023
Another few brilliant weeks in year 6 - check out our photo’s of:
18th September 2023
The first three weeks in Year 6 have been brilliant. In PE, we have begun our hockey and gymnastics topics. In Art, we have looked at David Hockney and his work, and we are beginning to complete a collage inspired by him. In history, we have started looking at Battles - we with explored historical sources, then researched the Battle of Maidstone and now we are looking at World War 1.
In maths, we have just finished our place value block and are now readying ourselves for the four operations.
We have also elected our head/deputy head students, our sports councillors and our prefects - huge congratulations to them all!!